WASHINGTON - Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation Friday announced the planned separation of the $76-billion conglomerate into two distinct publicly traded companies, with one to be renamed 21st Century Fox and the publishing firm to retain the News Corp brand. The split has been formally approved by the Board of Directors. The Company announced appointments to the Boards of Directors of both ...
BEIJING - Chinese regulators Friday announced that they have signed a memorandum of understanding with their US counterparts giving American authorities increased access to documents from Chinese audit firms. The signing of the MOU between China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC), the Ministry of Finance (MOF) and the US Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) is a significant ...
ZAGREB/LONDON - Croatia, soon to become the 28th member of the European Union,- is looking to undiscovered oil and gas fields in the Adriatic Sea to revive its ailing economy, according to the country's president. Ivo Josipovic told CNN that Croatia is searching for partners in the energy sector to help reveal oil and gas "green fields" in the waters that separate the Balkan nations and ...
WASHINGTON - Amazon, the largest online retailer of books, movies, music and games, Friday offered its Kindle e-book platform to fan fiction authors to sell some of their work. Fan fiction is literature inspired by popular books, shows, movies, comics, music, and games. Publication outside of blogs and online fanzines is often difficult because of copyright issues. Amazon Publishing has ...
BEIJING - China is planning to steadily push forward market-oriented reform in its interest rates and exchange rates mechanisms this year as part of the financial sector reforms to better serve the real economy, a central bank report said on Friday. The "China Financial Stability Report (2013) released by the People's Bank of China stressed that it would be steadily promoting the interest ...
Meet the Parents [DVD]
For Greg Focker (Ben Stiller), the earnest, put-upon hero of Meet the Parents, absolutely nothing goes right from the very beginning. First of all, his attempt to propose to his girlfriend, Pam (Teri Polo), is interrupted by a cell phone call from Pam's sister, Debbie (Nicole DeHuff), that she just got engaged and will be getting married in two weeks. Greg decides to hold off on ... ...
DUBLIN/ WASHINGTON Ireland-based biotechnology firm Elan Thursday rejected Royalty Pharma's increased $6.4 billion takeover bid, shortly after the U.S. firm cut the acceptance bar for its latest offer to 50 percent plus one share. Royalty raised its hostile cash bid to $12.50 per share on Monday, from $11.25 previously, but made the new offer conditional on Elan shareholders rejecting, at a ...
LONDON - In a critique of the United Kingdom's austerity programme, the International Monetary Fund Wednesday urged the Europe's third largest economy to rebalance the policy to make the transition to a high-investment and more export-oriented economy. "The UK could boost growth by bringing forward measures already included in its fiscal plan, such as spending on infrastructure and job ...
A consultant advised shareholders to vote “no” this year on Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent’s $30.5 million pay package. The company responded with a plan to cap bonus awards if stock returns are ...
A University of California San Diego institute that's emerged as a leader in finding better ways for people to communicate, stay healthy and protect the environment was named Friday after its largest benefactor, chipmaker ...
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Tiffany & Co. and United Natural Foods will be among the stocks to watch Tuesday after the three-day holiday ...
Reported in the press
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
The hotel is easy to locate although coming off Highway 405 South there is no indicattion that the Downtown exits ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Sierra Leone TimesSierra Leone Times – Independent Sierra Leone News Source
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Sierra Leone Times is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Sierra Leone news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Sierra Leone news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Sierra Leone news, the weather forecast for Sierra Leone you'll find it all in the Sierra Leone Times.
From Koidu and Makeni to Freetown, the Sierra Leone Times should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
29 April 2013 150 The Security Council today welcomed the joint declaration of non-violence signed last week in Conakry between the main Guinean stakeholders in which they committed themselves to resolve all differences exclusively through peaceful means.
In a statement issued to the press, the 15-member Council also welcomed the declaration by President Alpha Cond233; whereby he expressed his readiness to ensure the transparency and the credibility of the electoral process, and committed himself to accepting the results of the upcoming legislative elections.
In March, protests in the West African nation related to the polls led to several deaths and hundreds of injuries. At that time, both Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the UN human rights office appealed for calm amid the violence and urged political actors in Guinea to pursue dialogue to create conditions for peaceful elections.
The Council, which was briefed last Thursday on the situation in Guinea by Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Jeffrey Feltman, expressed its concern over the "volatile situation" in the country.
"The members of the Security Council deplored the violent incidents that occurred during the demonstrations in Conakry on 25 April 2013, which resulted in the death of one person and injured a number of others. ...
- Attacks in Niger Underline a Spread of Islamist Extremist Groups in West Africa
- President Sirleaf Inaugurates 600-Meter Marginal Quay At Freeport of Monrovia
- Ellen Cautions Individuals Over Owning Vast Underdeveloped Land
- At LWSC - U.S.$125000 West Point Water Project Consume
- Absolutely Unfounded Fabrication - Chinese Govt. Reacts to Media Report
- Heart healthy lifestyle may help protect kidney patients from dying prematurely
- Newbury Park financial planner pleads guilty to stealing from elderly client
- Woolwich suspect was victim of frenzied knife attack aged 16
- Banana consumption increases thanks to aging populaion
- Washington University professor steers X Prize to Alzheimers
- Board approves News Corp split into two entities
- Google to bankroll build wireless networks across Africa WSJ
- UPDATE 2-U.S. senator urges extreme caution on SoftBank -Sprint deal
- Oklahoma singer Shelton to headline May 29 tornado relief benefit
- Fox executive Darnell to leave TV network after ratings slump
- World becoming dangerous for refugees, warns Amnesty
- Kerry in Ethiopia for Security Talks
- Obama Urges Military to Stamp Out Sexual Assaults
- Angry Proteas fans slams arrogant Brit coach for Anderson more skilful than Steyn claim
- UN official highlights positive trends in Africa to protect indigenous peoples rights
- Jennifer Love Hewitt enjoys being in own skin
- Stocks to Watch Stocks to watch Tiffany United Natural Foods
- Hummels fitness boost for Dortmund
- My Favorite Fitness App
- As More Alzheimers Drugs Fail Researchers Find Hope In Vitamins And Spice
- Khloe Kardashian keen to have baby boy
- Sigourney Weaver to talk career motherhood at lecture series in Vancouver
- Foster parenting Our eureka moment
- Dogs And Babies Sleeping Are What The World Needs Now
- Amazon Kindle fan fiction 3D printing saves babys life This week in off-beat tech stories
- Pasco Temple defends Ambassador Stevens and Minister Kabs-Kanu
- HILLSBOROUGH Middle school softball team wins county championship
- Sierra Leone Olympic Committee disputes suspension by countrys sports minister
- 500 Kilometre Feeder Roads to be rehabilitated in 8 Districts
- Bumbuna Residents issue 21 days notice
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Sierra Leone Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Private firms may travel to lunar surface NASA report
- Alice Eve believes in aliens
- NASAs Chandra explores hidden population of exotic neutron stars
- Hubble reveals Ring Nebulas true shape
- Rare birth of mega-galaxy captured by space telescope